Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Reading cookbooks

I am a very slow reader, so when I am not reading a bookclub book, I read cookbooks for fun.

Right now I am reacquainting myself with the bread machine that was being stored in the basement, thanks to The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger. The bread machine is back on the kitchen counter, doing the work that the KitchenAid 600 mixer could not.

Last week, my Bread Made Easy cookbook said that I should knead the challah dough I was making for 5 minutes in the KitchenAid. But the KitchenAid had other ideas. It quit at 4 minutes. Wait, it didn't just quit actually. It died. Just made a little 'pft' noise and stopped working at all.

And in e-mailing KitchenAid to see why this machine died, they just kept saying I shouldn't have to knead dough beyond 4 minutes. But can't it do 5? Well, it should only need 4. But the recipe calls specifically for 5 in a KitchenAid. Well, do only 4. I returned it, having owned it for less than a month. Time to dust off the bread machine.

I am checking out a lot of Beth Hensperger's books from the library. I like the library books because some people (I think the library calls them 'Patrons') have made helpful notes in the margins.

No comments:

Post a Comment