Friday, June 5, 2009

Friends

My friend Maggie is unemployed right now, so I invite her over for her favorite soup. Karen and her son come as well. Then, later, Grandpa Andy comes by. He is a new friend who loves to bake bread, as do I. I tried to make an asiago cheese bread in the bread machine and it didn't go well. Grandpa Andy brings some delicious cranberry walnut and Finnish cardamon, both fashioned into braids and egg washed. The cranberry walnut is gone almost immediately.

Maggie brings gigantor chocolate chip cookies with brownies in the middle. They are the size of a human head! Karen brings salad with greens from her garden. I didn't know you could get lettuce so fast!

Here is the soup recipe. I had enough for lunch, for dinner and to send some home with Maggie and Grandpa Andy.

Maggies' Soup

3 c whole milk
1 c Jiffy corn muffin mix
2 T butter
1 onion, chopped fine (I use the frozen ones)
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used jarred)
1 tsp cumin
2 quarts chicken broth (I use Better Than Bouillon)
1.5 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I use frozen Schwan's_
1 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 c frozen maize (I don't like the word for this that starts with 'C' and it comes on a cob) (Schwan's is great)
parsley (I use dried)

1. Mix milk and muffin mix in bowl until well combined. Meanwhile, heat butter in large Dutch oven over medium. Add onion and cook till soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cumin, stir about 30 seconds. Add broth, chicken and sweet potatoes. Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer 8 minutes.
2. Stir in milk and muffin mixture, simmer 10 minutes. Add maize, cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve, topping with cheese.
8 to 10 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment