Thursday, June 18, 2009

Local, local, local

Wow! I live near the University of Minnesota's St. Paul campus, where the deer and antelope play. Not really, but they do have horses, cows, sheep and chickens. It should have dawned on me sooner that they would also have a Dairy Store, but I just found out about it. We biked over, waited in a long line and discovered the best reduced-fat chocolate chunk ice cream I've ever tasted. The jury is still out on the cheese; I am saving it for book club on Friday. We're all reading any Barbara Kingsolver book, and since I just finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, I need to serve something local. I should also serve something made with eggs from my backyard flock. You can't get any more local than your backyard.

Here's what I am making for dinner. We are slated to get some broccoli via our CSA Farm today, which will go well with it.

Orange Hoisin Chicken
2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
3 slices peeled fresh ginger, about 1/4 inch thick
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
6 individually frozen chicken breasts (unthawed)
2 teaspoons cornstarch combined with 2 teaspoons cold water
sesame seeds

Combine oj, honey, soy sauce, hoisin, ginger, garlic and oil in shallow dish. Coat chicken one at a time, then place in slow cooker. Poor remaining sauce over and book on low, 5 to 6 hours.

Strain sauce through fine-mesh strainer into small saucepan. Bring to a boil, them stir in cornstarch. Heat 1-2 minutes, till thickened.

Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment