Friday, July 31, 2009

Favorite bread


I found this recipe in Beth Hensperger's The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook. I've made it at least 6 times now, and this, toasted, with Peg's crabby apple jelly is a little slice of heaven.

Graham Bread

1 1/8 cups water
1 large egg
2 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
2 1/4 cup bread flour (Swany flour from Hampton Park Co-op is terrific)
3/4 cup graham flour
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp gluten
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast

I set my (way old) bread machine on the dough cycle, let it rise once, then let it rise in a normal bread pan and bake it in the oven. I find that once the bread starts kneading in the machine, I usually add more graham flour as it's too wet otherwise. All that business about never opening the lid just isn't true.

No comments:

Post a Comment