Tuesday, July 14, 2009

20.21


We had dinner with our friends Ed and Anne at the 20.21 restaurant at the Walker. Asian fusion, shared plates and delicious. I told Ed how the elk with blueberry reduction sauce re-inspired me to be a better home cook. It's a benchmark I'll never reach, but still, something to shoot for that's a little better than casseroles made with cream of mushroom soup.

Our block party was Sunday and I made a cole slaw using the red cabbage from our CSA farm. I don't have much experience working with red cabbage, and when I washed it in the salad spinner, it turned the water the most beautiful shade of blue. I used the CSA's recipe:

Turnip Rock Cole Slaw

Finely chop one small head of red cabbage.

Stir together 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup white vinegar and 1 Tbs sugar. Add enough dressing to the cabbage to moisten it and season with salt and black pepper to taste.

For variation and any of the following: fresh parsley, crumbled crisp bacon, grated carrots, fresh tarragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment