Thursday, August 6, 2009

Italian Beet Soup

Here is a recipe that I consider a lot of work (peeling beets, etc) but worth it. This recipe was from the Rosebud Grocery in The Galleria in Edina, and given to me by my pottery teacher, Maureen Brockway. I learned to love beets because of this beautiful red soup.

Italian Beet Soup

5 Italian sausages, cut into 1 inch pieces (I use the Turkey Store's sweet Italian sausage)
1 quart beef stock
2 cups fresh beets, peeled and cubed
1 large onion, sliced
1 large onion
2 carrots, diced
2 cups fresh spinach, cut into large pieces
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup olive oil (I use less or have omitted altogether and it's still good)
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp rosemary
4 cups beet green
1 cup white wine
grated romano cheese

1. Boil sausage in water for 5 minutes. Drain, then add beef stock.

2. Over medium heat, pan fry beets, onion, carrots, spinach and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes.

3. Add these vegetables plus sugar and rosemary to the stock. Simmer 45 minutes.

4. Add beets greens and wine. Simmer another 30 minutes.

Serve topped with romano.

No comments:

Post a Comment